Tuesday, June 16, 2009

social innovation

A few Saturday’s ago I attended New Zealand’s first Social Innovation Camp. A lot of these happen around the world but wellington was the first to hold New Zealand’s. There is a post on idealog that talks about how it was run and what came out of it.

In whole a whole I was super excited about this meet; getting together with other members of the public who were interested in making a difference socially. The topic was based around “how to innovate our way out of the recession” and while the ideas that came out were strong I have to say I was a little disappointed. Everything was so focussed around business issues (understandable due to the topic) but I was hoping there would be some solutions that were more focussed specific groups of society and making a difference with in them. I felt that the topic of financial crisis over road what we (will I) was trying to achieve.

There is one in Auckland coming up in the start of July so if you are up that way and interested make sure you check it out here.

No comments: